Monday, June 6, 2011

Whew, what a week!

After last Tuesday, Michael and I realized we were probably stretching the kids a little too thin, so the kids and I spent much more time at home the second half of the week. Going from 7 am to 9 or 10 pm without more than a quick nap on the run may be ok for a 20 something, but not so much for a 1 and 3 year old. In some ways it was a difficult transition for me because I love to be involved in everything that's going on, but I feel God working on my heart, and I'm praying that this summer I will find joy in learning to serve Him in the way that He wants me to.
Instead of a day by day account this time (since it's all starting to run together for me), I'll offer some highlights from last week.
The girls spent some time cleaning the beautiful old church that Glasgow City Free Church meets in. This was a great tangible way to love the church, and I think they enjoyed serving the congregation in this way. Abby and Caleb both tried to help vacuum...that didn't last long.
The girls also went out into another part of the city to pass out flyers for a church plant that GCFC is starting in the area.
On Thursday night we were invited to dinner at Finley and Kristen's house. This dear couple runs the international student ministry that is connected to the church. Finley, an ordained minister, is the associate pastor at GCFC. The Lord has definitely given this couple the gift of hospitality, and we so enjoyed our evening with them hearing what God is doing in the lives of international students in Glasgow. It is a very exciting work that is happening.
Saturday was our "off day," so our whole group headed to Edinburgh for the day. What a beautiful city. I can't wait to share our pictures with you, but they're not uploaded yet so that will be for another day.
Yesterday was our last day in Glasgow, and we spent the morning worshiping with GCFC and the afternoon eating and having great conversation with Ross, Fiona and their kids (a family from GCFC). In the evening, Michael had the opportunity to preach in the service and then share a bit about RUF at an after church fellowship. This was a sweet time with a group of people that have become very dear to us over the past couple weeks.
Leaving Glasgow this morning was very bittersweet for me. I must say that I will not miss taking public transportation. It was a good experience for us, but it definitely made me thankful to have a car :) We also look forward to our work in Skye.
However, it was so hard to leave. All around the people in Glasgow were pleasant, friendly and helpful, but in particular, we were so blessed by the congregation at GCFC. Every bit of time that we spent with them, we felt such a warmth of community and care...truly they exude the love of Jesus. All of us felt like we learned so much from their hospitality, their genuineness, their joyful self-sacrifice. Thank you, Lord, for the body of Christ.
In our Bible study last week, we read the first part of Philippians and talked about how the Gospel is our common bond and the glory of God is our common goal. As I look back on the time we spent in Glasgow, I rejoice the see how God worked out those verses both among our group and also between our group and the church in Glasgow.
Tomorrow will be our first day getting oriented to the community here in Skye, and I hope to be updating more regularly since we'll have internet access at the house. Thank you for all your love and prayers. I love reading your comments and feeling connected to y'all back home!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the update! Hoping God shows you neat ways of being just as involved while also taking care of the kiddos! Love hearing about how thngs are going. Found some more old pics from college and uploaded them to facebook, youll have to check them out when you get home. Love you!

chris said...

I know what you mean about it being hard to stop when your tots need to stop.

chris said...

By "chris," google actually means "april."